Tuesday, September 18, 2007

It's Just a Flesh Wound

Ok, so my weird news story today isn't really all about the Black Knight from Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail... but the headline was enough to make me giggle:

Armless Man Delivers Fatal Head-Butt

That's just the sort of thing that makes me reflect on culture... of course it happened here in Georgia, but in general, our culture still condones and popularizes violence. In feeling a little guilty about my own laughter I had to wonder. Is connecting violence with humor one more way to let it pass? Well, maybe, but it's also a way to help us cope. I know working in child welfare I sometimes had to laugh to avoid crying, but still, I hope to laugh at things less harmful. Ok, so maybe just laugh more to step down the proportion. Ok, so maybe just hope more :)

2 comments:

  1. Question: Where do they put the handcuffs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm, headcuff? body cuff? shackles?

    *guilty for laughing even more*

    ReplyDelete